Every 2 years, the Alliance launches a flagship report on a topic of importance in health policy and systems research. The 2016 report is on Effective Leadership for Resilient Health Systems. With complex challenges on the path towards achieving universal health coverage and other health-related targets outlined in the sustainable development goals, the role of effective leadership is critical in collaborating across sectors to create health systems that are equitable, efficient, fit for purpose, time-sensitive, and goal-oriented. Despite its importance, there is limited evidence on what constitutes effective leadership in health, and the systems, structures and institutional mechanisms that are required to support its development. In this report, the Alliance aims to unpack different elements of effective leadership along with the health system environments that support its development. In doing so, it will also suggest strategies to strengthen leadership for improving health systems performance in LMICs
This report is primarily intended for policy and decision makers, as well as funders and researchers. The report is set to launch at the Fourth Global Symposium on Health Systems Research in Vancouver in November 2016.
We would like this report to feature a diverse set of voices and experiences; therefore, we are seeking your input on two key elements:
1. Nominations on leaders who have brought about significant change that has contributed to strengthening the health system in your country: If you know of someone whose leadership efforts at the national or subnational level have had a positive impact and the lessons learned could contribute to the report, please email us with a nomination statement at alliancehpsr(at)who.int. Nominations could include those working at the ministry of health, local health department, programme level implementers, civil society, research institutions, etc.
Please include your nomination’s full name, email and institutional affiliation where applicable. The statement should include the following key elements justifying your reasons for nomination:
- What has this leader accomplished?
- Why was it important for the health system?
- How widespread has the impact been?
2. Invitation for ideas on topics related to leadership in health: Over the next year, a set of papers on effective leadership will be commissioned to complement the report. If there are topics related to leadership in health that you feel should be explored further, please submit these to alliancehpsr(at)who.int. Please include in your submission suggestions for authors, where relevant.
Please send your nominations by 1st December 2015. From the submissions received, the Alliance will select those that are most in line with the overall themes in the report. We thank you in advance for your contributions.