An event co-organized by Health Systems Global and the Alliance for Health Policy and Systems Research and sponsored by the Government of Norway
2023 marks the halfway point of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), but the United Nations (UN) recently described progress toward them as “woefully off track.” As part of an effort to refocus attention on these goals, the UN General Assembly is convening three high-level meetings (HLMs) on health: one on pandemic prevention, preparedness and response, one on universal health coverage (UHC), and one highlighting the fight against tuberculosis (TB). Yet, the success of these initiatives hinges on a deep understanding of how our existing health and social structures foster health equity in the context of these overarching goals – an insight to which robust health policy and systems research (HPSR) can make a major contribution.
This special event will examine the priorities, interests and opportunities of key actors in the field to support and deploy health policy and systems research to drive progress on health equity and to achieve health-related goals. It will be informed by the discussions at the HLMs and will showcase examples of how countries have employed HPSR approaches to identify gaps and find solutions. It will also be an opportunity to launch discussions around these topics, which will be continued during the Eighth Global Symposium on Health Systems Research in Nagasaki, Japan, in November 2024.
This event was held in person in New York City and online.
Speakers and discussants
- Helen CLARK, Former Prime Minister of New Zealand, Former Administrator of UNDP and current Chair of the Board, Alliance for Health Policy and Systems Research
- Mathume Joseph PHAAHLA (TBC), Minister of Health, South Africa
- Jeanette VEGA, Former Minister of Social Development and Family, Chile
- Satoshi EZOE, Director of Global Health Strategy, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Japan
- John-Arne RØTTINGEN, Ambassador for Global Health, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Norway
- Ana Beatriz AMAYA, Board Member of Health Systems Global and Associate Professor at Pace University
- Kumanan RASANATHAN, Executive Director, Alliance for Health Policy and Systems Research, WHO
- Jeremy FARRAR, Chief Scientist, WHO
Registration is now closed.