HSG offers a range of opportunities for members to develop their individual knowledge, skills and experience:
- Knowledge and skills-building webinars, including on learning from research for health policy and systems management and practice, research methods and a series on peer review and publishing processes in partnership with BioMed Central.
- Skills-building workshops and satellite sessions during the biennial Global Symposia on Health Systems Research.
- The Emerging Voices for Global Health program for young and emerging health policy and systems leaders.
- Periodic mentoring support, such as a mentorship program for first-time women authors of research papers in peer review journals.
- Regional and national HSG membership and partner meetings, workshops and networking events.
HSG collaborates with partners and engages its members to share experiences of organizational development to support training and the field of HPSR:
- Develop and share learning tools and resources to support the teaching and training of health policy and systems research and evidence use for practitioners and researchers, including a collaborative, crowd-sourced repository of courses and trainings on health systems research from around the world.
- Advocate to governments, donors, agencies and academic and research institutions for greater funding, priority setting and support for health policy and systems capacity strengthening for practitioners and researchers.
HSG works with its members and partners to organize regional and national events and initiatives, as well as convening and connecting members from research, policy, practice and advocacy through thematic and field building networks to share lessons.
Regional Networks – capacity development activities include:
- Regional and national conferences and initiatives to mobilize and support regional members participation in the biennial Global Symposia.
- Webinars and workshops tackling key issues and to exchange new and emerging learning from research and practice.
- Mentoring and support to members intending to submit abstracts to the Global Symposia.
Thematic Working Groups (TWGs) – capacity development activities include:
- Workshops and webinars where members share knowledge and experiences, including during the Global Symposia.
- Resources developed and maintained by TWGs to inform capacity development, such as an inventory of knowledge translation and cross constituency engagement initiatives.
- Opportunities and support to publish work in peer-reviewed journals and supplements.
Health Systems Global (HSG) organizes a symposium every two years to bring together its members with the full range of players involved in health systems and policy research and practice. There is currently no other international gathering that serves the needs of this community.
HSR Symposia Skills-building Sessions »
Skills-building sessions are a critical element of every symposium. The Skills building Sessions focus on 4 target demographics: Practitioners and Decision-makers, Researchers, Advocacy & Media, and Teaching and Learning.
Further resources for Key Competencies »